Is Scum too advanced?

gaming

What my buddy Fry has to say about it.

So, Scum is an upcoming multiplayer online survival game that was originally set to be released on steam early access in Q2 of 2018, but has now been pushed back to mid Q3 of 2018. For those of you who don’t know what Q2 means, it’s basically just the second quarter of the year, (April, May, and June), Q3 is the next three months of the year.

Croteam, (the producer of the game), says that the world’s unquenchable need for entertainment has turned towards bloodlust as entertainment behemoth TEC1 is set to premiere season two of its television sensation Scum. This new season moves the contest from the rugged, enclosed Alcatraz sector to the full grandeur of Bagne de Cayenne, an island with a sordid history of violent incarceration. Both fan favourites and new prisoners will clash in a ruthless war of survival while battling for the support of viewers, producers, and corporate sponsors for fame, gifts, and a chance of life after death.

My summary:
The game takes place on an island with Mediterranean similarities holding 64 players (maximum/per-server) all with the same goal to not only survive but get off the island altogether, and this can only be accomplished by finding a way to remove an implant preventing them from leaving. Keep in mind this is a prison riot based survival game this all adds up.

Here’s the crazy part though. According to gameinformer: “The character you play as will possess four main attributes: strength, dexterity, constitution and intelligence. These will let you form the play style of your preference – from long distance running to big bulky tanks. It promises to simulate the human body, and as such uses a special interface connected to the player’s “BCU monitor” which tracks your character’s calories, vitamins, health and other stats. Players can choose to ignore these elements of the game, but hardcore players can delve deep into these systems in order to improve the character’s performance (speed, stamina, weight to carry etc.). Another aspect is digestion; for instance, if you get all of your teeth knocked out, you will have to find a way to liquify your food in order to digest it. Defecating and urinating will leave physical evidence of your activities on the island, which could be used to track another player. Things like combat will depend on your player’s skill level, but also on things like stamina, health and so on. Wetness, smell, medicine, cooking, hacking, crafting, hunting and poison will also play a major role in the gameplay”.

This is where the idea that the game is perhaps too advanced would come into play. Everything about the game, but especially the little things, such as finding new ways to digest your foods if all of your teeth get knocked out seems a bit too advanced, but could also turn into something extremely entertaining for problem solving and hardcore type players (like myself), and an entirely new mastery aspect with everything you have to keep track of for tactical players (again, like myself). I’m kind of on the line here, which is why I’m asking you. Let me know what you all think about this, is it too advanced, or maybe even not advanced enough?

3 Likes

I saw a little review about this game before, and i honestly think the premise is awesome. I feel like it could be a starter for a whole new way to play video games. It could segway into a whole nother genre of games. So im personally excited.

1 Like

This may be too advanced for the casual gamer, even the moderate gamer. I’m fascinated by the amount of thought put into Scum. I haven’t seen factors such as wetness, hacking, or even digestion - that’s crazy!

I’m sure this can put off some playerbases but it will definitely light up the hardcore gamers.

1 Like

Like us rad gamers here at blinq